Subject: RE: 3d accelerators for PC
From: "Holman, Dimitri" <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 10:07:34 -0500

Agust Fridriksson wrote:
>>I need to know the what is the fastest GUI/Render accel card out there,
>>The top price I am looking for is 50.000$. I know this may sound abit absurd
>>but I#180#m looking for this to accel both rendering and to get realtime VRML
>>stuff in hires. <snip>

I believe the board you're looking from Evans and Sutherland, yes the one and
the same company that produces proprietary Image Generators for simulation. I
believe the board is called the FREEDOM Board. Real-Time performance
approaching SGI speed of just a few years ago. Nothing like the 800 Million
Textured Pixels ( texels ) per second of the latest ONYX series though. Goto
http://www.es.com/ for more info.

The following is a glimpse

FEATURES:
       Real time rendering, Full speed antialiasing, Fast set-up calculations 
       Depth cueing, Transparency, Texture mapping, Line-slope intensity  
       corrections, Environment mapping, Fog, decals, Specular highlights 
       Perspective acceleration of textures, Bi-linear and tri-linear 
       MIP-mapping, Perspective acceleration of colors, 24-bit texture 
       acceleration, 12-bit dither, Alpha blending, Scissoring,        
       Perspective acceleration of colors, Window ID, Color modulation 
       Real time animation

Technical Specifications

       3D Graphics Engine: Evans & Sutherland 
       Display Memory: 4MByte of VRAM 
       Z buffer Memory: 4MByte of DRAM 
       Texture Memory (optional): 1, 4 or 16 MByte user installable SIMM 
       3D Resolutions: 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480 
       Display Colors: 8, 12, 24 bit color support 
       Maximum Vertical Refresh Rates: 72Hz non-interlaced at all supported    
       resolutions 
       Software Support: Windows NT 3.5, OpenGL, DDI 

System Requirements

       Bus: PCI Full length slot 
       CPU Support: Pentium 
       Monitor: Video timing supports any monitor capable of displaying the   
       listed resolutions in non-interlaced mode, 15 pin D-shell VGA
       connector 

dimitri holman
visualization engineer
science applications international corp
[email-masked]